- SOFIA Overview
- Proposing & Observing
- Meetings and Events
1.3 Other Documents and Resources
Download the PDF Version
The following additional documents are available on the SOFIA Information for Researchers web pages.
- The "SOFIA Cycle 4 Call for Proposals" describes how to prepare and submit proposals. It includes details on how proposals will be evaluated. It formally establishes the policies for all matters concerned with the rules governing SOFIA Cycle 4 for guest investigators.
- The "FORCAST Observation Modes" document provides an explanation of the basic FORCAST observing modes for imaging observations. It is referred to explicitly in Section 7 below.
- The "Guide to Observation Planning with GREAT" is a tutorial for estimating exposure times for observations using GREAT. It is referred to explicitly in Section 9 below.
- The HIPO Throughput/Sensitivity Spreadsheet provides tools to estimate the signal-to-noise for HIPO observations.
- The Science Instrument Suite web pages provide a brief overview of the suite of instruments that will be available on SOFIA once it reaches full operational capability.
- "The Science Vision for the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy" presents many compelling science questions that SOFIA is uniquely positioned to address. The complementarity among several astronomical facilities (current and future, particularly in the IR/mm wavelength regime) are discussed where relevant. Please note, that any information regarding the performance of the telescope and instruments contained within the "Science Vision" is superseded by this document and the SOFIA web sites.